Find the perfect sealant that meets your needs with our buying guide. In this guide, we help you understand sealants better to ensure you get the right product.
Regardless of whether you’re looking to fill in holes, gaps, or cracks, you can trust sealants to get the job done. sealants are sealing agents that prevent the passage of liquids and other substances through surfaces or openings and provide a protective coating. they withstand elements such as air leakage, moisture, and insects in various environments.
Properties Of Sealants
- ConsistencyNon-sag sealants have a high viscosity and will not flow even on sloped or vertical joints. on the other hand, pourable sealants have low viscosity, making them suitable to use in horizontal joints. they can also be self-leveling.
- HardnessThe harder a sealant, the flexibility decreases and the greater its ability to resist deformation.
- Weather ResistanceExterior-grade sealants can perform well in the face of external elements while staying flexible as expected. indicators of high exposure resistance include flexibility at low temperatures, uv stability, and more.
- DurabilitySealants have expected life cycles which may differ especially if the sealants are applied incorrectly or are not compatible with the substrate.
- MovementThe higher the tolerance, the more elongation or compression the sealant can withstand.
- Modulus Of ElasticityIn most cases, high-modulus sealants have low movement capability and are applied on static or non-moving joints, while low-modulus sealants are generally utilized for delicate substrates.
- VOC ContentAs volatile organic compounds are respiratory irritants that can be harmful to health, it is advisable to choose sealants with low voc levels.
Types Of Sealants
There Is A Wide Variety Of Sealants, Each With Different Characteristics And Serving Different Purposes. They Come In The Form Of Weak Or Strong, Permanent Or Temporary, And Flexible Or Rigid Types. In Construction, The Seven Main Types Of Sealants Commonly Used Are Latex, Acrylic, Butyl, Polysulfide, Silicone, Polyurethane, And Polyisobutylene. Overall, Silicones Have The Longest Service Life Of About 20 Years, While Some Acrylics And Butyls Last For Around Five.
Selecting The Right Sealant
Using The Right Type Of Sealant Will Give Better Results. Here Are The Types Of Caulks And Their Recommended Applications.
Latex caulks or siliconized latex caulks are the best choice for painting purposes, sealing windows and doors, and filling small cracks and holes in walls or baseboards. they are flexible and can be applied on porous or nonporous surfaces.
Silicone caulks are ideal for sealing gaps around countertops, showers, toilets, and sinks. they work best on nonporous surfaces and in spaces that expand and contract.
Waterproof as well as mold and mildew resistant, latex sealants act as a barrier for exterior surfaces against the elements. they can withstand expansion and contraction without cracking.
Highly elastic and with strong gripping power, adhesive caulk adheres well to various materials including metal, wood, tile, and masonry.
Why Choose Metro Sealant?
At Metro Sealant, We Stock All Kinds Of Sika Products Including Epoxy Adhesives. We Offer All Our Products At Very Competitive Prices. You Are Also Going To Love Our User-Friendly Online Shop That Is Designed To Help You Find All The Products That You Are Looking For Fast.
To Learn More About Fall Protection, Contact Us Today!