Water damage can pose a serious risk to the overall foundation of a property. It is one of the main reasons that contributes to mold and mildew problems that cause physical harm to the entire structure. In America, more than 60% of homeowners experience moisture problems in their property. So, what can you do to protect your home? Learn more about cementitious waterproofing and how you can benefit from its effects.
What is Cementitious Waterproofing?
Cementitious waterproofing makes use of breathable coatings that provide masonry and concrete both positive and negative-side waterproofing capabilities. Waterproofing at the positive side creates a waterproof layer on that side where hydrostatic pressure has been applied. On a house, this side would be its exterior which is nearest to the ground. Negative-side waterproofing on the other hand, safeguards the opposite side where hydrostatic pressure has been applied. For a house, this would be a wall in the basement. Apart from blocking out moisture, cementitious coatings can prevent water seepage that causes mold and mildew problems.
Cementitious Waterproofing Benefits
Cementitious waterproofing products are one of the easiest materials to mix and apply. They also offer a highly durable and solid layer when additives like acrylic are added into the mixture. It is easy to obtain the cementitious materials and they are most ideal for use in wet rooms like bathrooms. Benefits of cementitious waterproofing are as follows:
- Prevent Water Seepage Damage
The main benefit of cementitious waterproofing is to prevent water seepage that causes property damage. Its material blocks out water and can safeguard the property from any form of water damage along with its contents inside.
- Resist Mold
Mold is very common in every building, residential or commercial. Whenever there is water seepage from a leaking pipe, the rain, and other water sources, moisture can penetrate through the interior of the building and create an environment that supports mold and mildew growth. This also implicates the air quality of the building and affect the condition of paint, wallpaper, carpet, drywall, and upholstery.
- Resist Mildew
Mildew thrives in damp, humid, and dark spaces. Similar to mold, mildew can grow on any type of surfaces which in turn causes respiratory problems and other health concerns. With cementitious waterproofing, wet rooms like a basement can prevent mildew growth.
Cementitious Coating Products
There are various breathable cementitious coating products which can be used to waterproof basements and other wet rooms. Below is a list of the different types which you can select to meet the unique needs of your property:
- Flexible waterproofing membrane which is for use both indoors and outdoors. It prevents cracking caused by telegraphing and can accommodate the movement of substrates.
- Waterproof coating can be used below and above-grade applications. It can hide minor defects and blemishes in building concrete. The formulation of the product allows interior moisture to get out without inflicting any damage to the coating.
- Waterproof coating for above-grade foundations can also be used as a base. It is also suitable to be applied on below-grade concrete and masonry.
- Cement-based waterproof coating is best for use on brick, concrete, and masonry to waterproof concrete planters, basements, foundations, and similar surfaces.