Concrete is one of the most commonly-used building materials because it’s durable, can last a lifetime, and is easy to install. However, that doesn’t mean that it always lasts forever. Concrete can fail due to a variety of reasons, so it’s always best to know what problems to look for and when to fix your concrete.
As one of today’s leading experts on concrete repair, sealant, and waterproofing services, the team from Metro Sealant has gathered some important facts for you here. Below you’ll find key information on the causes of concrete failure and why repairing your concrete is essential.
5 Key Causes
- Issues from Mechanical Equipment: One of the most common causes of concrete cracks is from mechanical equipment that creates a heavy impact, vibration, or other high-stress scenario that reduces the lifespan of concrete.
- Chemical Degradation: Concrete that’s consistently exposed to chemicals will often degrade much quicker. It can also cause reactions that will lessen its effectiveness, such as alkali-aggregate issues and damage from bacteria.
- Corrosion from Adjacent Materials: Concrete installed alongside steel and other types of metals can often fall victim to corrosion, receiving damage from everything from stray electrical currents to carbonation.
- Physical Damage: Sometimes, the physical environment in which concrete is installed can be too much for it to take. Freezing and thawing, shrinkage, abrasion, and thermal factors are all causes of concrete failure.
- Other Factors: Other things that can impact the quality of concrete include poor maintenance and installation, and design faults.
Why is concrete repair so important?
Repairing your concrete with a quality sealant, like Sika Sealant, is essential because it improves safety and helps prevent serious and costly repairs down the road. By fixing any concrete issues as soon as they appear, you’ll restore structural integrity to your home or commercial facility, as well as improve its aesthetic appearance. Additionally, concrete repair helps enhance its durability, ensuring that your concrete continues to get the job done for many years to come.
Contact us for Sika Sealant, 3M products, Carlisle Waterproofing, & more!
Are you in need of quality roofing and waterproofing products? If so, Metro Sealant would love to hear from you. To learn more about our inventory, contact us online or call (866) 695-6909 for a quote.