The Bituthene® System 4000 Waterproofing Membrane provides great initial adherence and, more importantly, excellent long-term adhesion thanks to the System 4000 Surface Conditioner. This is conveniently packaged in each roll of the membrane. Read on to find out all the benefits and limitations of using the Bituthene® 4000 roll!
What Is Bituthene® 4000?
A unique, extremely sticky, self-adhesive rubberized asphalt compound is combined with high-performance, cross-laminated HDPE carrier film to create the Bituthene® System 4000 Waterproofing Membrane. It is flexible and pre-formed to be 1/16 inches (1.5 mm) thick.
Bituthene® System 4000 Surface Conditioner is an innovative water-based latex surface treatment that gives the treated substrate a rough, high-tack finish. In order to provide the Bituthene® System 4000 Waterproofing Membrane with an appropriate surface, it is specially developed to bind construction site dust and concrete efflorescence.
Benefits of the Bituthene® 4000 roll
- Exhibits top-notch adhesion thanks to a unique adhesive compound designed to work with the high tack System 4000 Surface Conditioner.
- Cold application design allows for simple substrate application, particularly at low temperatures.
- Lower inventory and handling expenses due to each roll of membrane coming with the Bituthene® System 4000 Surface Conditioner.
- Broad temperature range for applications; good self- and substrate-bonding at 25°F (-4°C) and higher.
- Overlap security reduces room for error in site-specific circumstances.
- High-density polyethylene carrier film that is cross-laminated to give exceptional tear, puncture, and impact resistance.
- High flexibility will bridge shrinkage gaps and accommodate small structural movements throughout the service life of the structure.
- Ripcord®, a split release on-demand function, enables the membrane to be divided into two pieces.
- Has a Underwriters’ Laboratory (UL) approval Class A fire rating.
Approvals and Limitations of the Bituthene® 4000 Roll
The Bituthene® 4000 Roll has received the following approvals and limitation guidelines:
- City of Los Angeles Research Report RR 24386
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- Miami-Dade County Code Report NOA 04-0114.03
- HUD Materials Release 628E
The Bituthene® 4000 roll has a UL Class A Fire Rating when used in either of the following constructions:
- Limited to noncombustible decks at inclines that fall below 1/4 inches (6 mm) to the horizontal 1 foot (0.3 meters).
- A single Bituthene® waterproofing membrane layer, followed by another layer of 1/8 in. (3 mm) protection board which is covered in 2 inches (50 mm) minimum concrete monolithic pour
- Limited to noncombustible decks at inclines that do not go beyond 1/4 inches (6 mm) to the horizontal 1 foot (0.3 meters)
- A single layer of Bituthene® waterproofing membrane which is followed by another DOW Styrofoam PD Insulation Board layer 2 inches (50 mm) thick.
- This is covered with a layer of concrete paver topping at 2 feet x 2 feet x 2 inches (0.6 meters x 0.6 meters x 50 mm)
Can the Bituthene® 4000 Roll Be Used as an Expansion Joint Cover?
Only under certain, unique circumstances may Bituthene® membrane be used as an expansion joint cover. It is neither a filler nor a sealant for expansion joints.
Expansion joints must be properly waterproofed, which necessitates the use of materials made for this purpose. For complete waterproofing protection on a project, Bituthene® waterproofing systems can often be connected to expansion joint waterproofing and/or covering systems.For more information and other excellent waterproofing materials, such as the Bituthene® 3000 roll, reach out to Metro Sealant!