Emseal 20H System: Water-Based Asphalt Emulsion
Emseal 20H System is a tried and true preformed expanding foam sealant produced by impregnating permanently elastic, high density, open-cell polyurethane foam with an acrylic polymermodified, water-based asphalt emulsion. It is primarily used in below-grade applications. The architectural and engineering community has benefited from Emseal 20H System performance for over 30 years. Questions? Contact Us.
Note: The 20H System has been replaced for deck joint applications by the DSM System and in below-grade applications by BG System and DSM-DS. 20H System still exists in legacy specifications and for installations in below-grade, positive-side wall joints.
- 20H is a preformed expanding foam sealant produced by impregnating permanently elastic, high-density, open-cell polyurethane foam with water-based, polymer-modified asphalt.
- Partially filling the open-cells with the impregnation and then compressing the material results in levels of sealing depending on the degree of compression.
- Typically, approximately 5-times compression is required for watertightness in below-grade and horizontal deck applications.
- The 20H foam is packaged precompressed in shrink-wrapped lengths (sticks).
- It is supplied precompressed to less than the nominal material size for easy insertion into the joint.
- Sealing between the foam and substrate is achieved through a combination of the effects of foam backpressure and the epoxy adhesive applied to the substrates and into which the 20H foam is installed.
- The exposed or outer surface of the installed 20H is further treated with Topcoat, supplied to suit the application.
- The complete 20H System comprises three elements:
1. the 20H foam,
2. the epoxy adhesive, and
3. the Topcoat. See Figure 1.
Uses and Applications:
- As a watertight seal in joints including:
– structural joints
– perimeter joints
- 20H System will not adhere to joints that are dirty or dust-covered or to surfaces coated with oils or release agents.
- 20H System service temperature range is -40°F to 185°F (-40°C to 85°C).
- 20H is not resistant to sustained contact with petroleum solvents,
- oils, selected waxes, active chlorine, heavy oxidized acids or strong lyes.