Emseal Thermaflex: Parking Deck Expansion Joint
Emseal Thermaflex is a parking deck expansion joint system, Emseal Thermaflex consists of extruded thermoplastic-rubber sealing glands with punched flanges embedded in a high-strength, flexible, impact-absorbing elastomeric concrete nosing material (Emcrete). Questions?Contact Us.
The thermoplastic-rubber sealing glands are heat-weldable, making transitions through changes in direction and plane not only practical but watertight.
The elastomeric concrete is two-part polyurethane reinforced with silica sand and fiberglass. The silica sand and fiberglass aggregate provide compressive strength while preserving flexibility. The system is mounted in blockouts on each side of the joint-gap. The sealing gland is placed in the joint gap and the blockouts are filled with the elastomeric concrete which encapsulates the flanges. The nosing material flows through holes punched in the flanges thereby forming a row of “pillars” for secure fastening and load bearing. The system becomes integral with the deck as the nosing material develops a bond to the concrete.
- ADA Compliant
- Double-cell & multi-cell designs ensure multi-level redundant sealing
- Durable under vehicular traffic in extreme weather conditions
- Ideal for new or retrofit construction
- Non-invasive anchoring–no metal anchors or embeds
- Staged installation preserves traffic flow
- Low silica-free resin-to-aggregate ratio enhances durability of nosing material
- Material lengths may be supplied for exact length of joint
- Heat-weldable thermoplastic rubber membrane permits continuous lengths and continuity of seal through transitions and terminations
- Tees, crosses, directional changes, column details, terminations, and changes in plane are available as factory-fabricated, factory-leak-tested units
- Shear pockets are available for extreme parallel movement conditions
- Differential vertical deflection, lateral movement, and seismic movement and thermal shock are accommodated by the flexibility of the seal
- Accepts traffic in as little as 3 hours at 75°F or higher temperatures–thereby facilitating lane-by-lane retrofits with minimal parking revenue loss
Evolved from the largely obsolete “compression seal“, Thermaflex belongs to a product type sometimes referred to as a “winged compression seal”. Innovation to improve movement capability while overcoming compression set and adhesion in tension in extruded seals, led eventually to EMSEAL’s high-movement, low-strain TM series for joints up to 2.5-inches (65mm).
Both the Thermaflex TM and TCR series extrusion feature a built in nosing stop that facilitates efficient installation of the nosing material at a height above the main seal that provides resistance to damage during snow plowing.
EMSEAL chooses to load its Emcrete resin with a conservative ratio of aggregate and chooses the aggregate composition to balance compressive strength with flexibility. Read more about our aggregate loading philosophy.