Tremco ExoAir 230 Basic Uses
ExoAir 230 is typically applied to exterior sheathing panels, concrete block, poured concrete, wood substrates, Nudura Insulated Concrete Forms (ICF), or insulated concrete forms, as an air and vapor permeable membrane. ExoAir 230 can be used with ExoAir 110, ExoAir 110AT, ExoAir 230 (and mesh) or Dymonic 100 as liquid applied flashing to detail into the rough opening.
Features and Benefits
- Tremco ExoAir 230 is a UV stable, seamless, monolithic membrane that creates a fully adhered air barrier when properly installed.
- The ability to roller or spray apply the material affords the contractor the ability to accelerate installation times compared to traditional self-adhered membrane systems.
- The high-performance properties of the ExoAir 230 membrane retard the migration of air and bulk water but allow water vapor to pass through the membrane. As a result, vapor permeable systems like ExoAir 230 allow for more flexibility in the placement of the air barrier membrane in the wall design.
- ExoAir 230 is formulated for UV resistance providing the flexibility to install rainscreen systems with open joints or to allow the membrane to be exposed longer during the construction process.
- ExoAir 230 can be custom colored to meet all of your design needs.
- ExoAir 230 is specifically formulated for design options requiring assemblies that have been evaluated for NFPA 285.
- ExoAir 230 is an approved Water Resistive Barrier when applied to Nudura Insulated Concrete Forms (ICF), or insulated concrete forms.
Exterior Sheathing or Insulated Concrete Forms: Minimum 48 wet mils (25 dry mils); 33 ft²/gal (3.07 M²/US gal)
Porous Substrates: Minimum 70 wet mils (35 dry mils); 23 ft²/gal (2.13 M²/US gal)
Note: Above listed coverage rates are minimums, installing at a greater thickness is acceptable.
Store ExoAir 230 in original, undamaged packages in a clean, dry, protected location with temperatures 40 to 100 °F (5 to 37 °C).
1 year when stored in accordance with storage instructions
- No more than 12 months of UV exposure before façade installation. If membrane is exposed for a period exceeding 12 months.
- Do not apply to damp, contaminated or frost-covered surfaces.
- Not to be used as a permanently exposed surface.
- Membrane shall be protected from rain and washout prior to drying.
- When applying to surfaces below 40 °F (5 °C), please refer to the Technical Bulletin- Cold Temperature Recommendations for Air Barrier Applications at www.tremcosealants.com
- ExoAir 230 is not to be applied directly to fireproofing materials.
- Keep product from freezing prior to being applied to the substrate. It is best to store Tremco ExoAir 230 off the floor at an ambient temperature above 40 °F (10 °C).
ExoAir 230 has been tested to the following industry standards for air barriers:
- AATCC 127-2008 Water Resistance: Hydrostatic Pressure Test
- ASTM C1305 Standard Test Method for Crack Bridging Ability of Liquid-Applied Waterproofing Membrane
- ASTM D412 Standard Test Methods for Vulcanized Rubber and Thermoplastic Elastomers – Tension
- ASTM D1970 Standard Specification for Self-Adhering Polymer Modified Bituminous Sheet Materials Used as Steep Roofing Underlayment for Ice Dam Protection
- ASTM D4541 Standard Test Method for Pull-Off Strength of Coatings Using Portable Adhesion Testers
- ASTM E96 Standard Test Methods for Water Vapor Transmission of Materials
- ASTM E331 Standard Test Method for Water Penetration of Exterior Windows, Skylights, Doors, and Curtain Walls by Uniform Static Air Pressure Difference
- ASTM E2178 Standard Test Method for Air Permeance of Building Materials
- ASTM E2357 Standard Test Methods for Determining Air Leakage of Air Barrier Assemblies
- NFPA 285 Standard Fire Test Method for Evaluation of Fire Propagation Characteristics of Exterior Non-Load-Bearing Wall Assemblies Containing Combustible Components